Friday, January 25, 2013

Thai dogs


I am surprised that one of the biggest culture shocks for me as been pet dogs in Thailand.  They are almost a different species here. 
First of all dogs are free to roam anywhere, but they don’t (more on that later).  Difference 1 – No leash laws
During training one of the shots we got is for rabies.  If we are bitten, we would still need another series of shots, just not as many.  So, the chances of being bitten here are greater and the chance of a dog having rabies is greater than at home.  Difference 2 – Dogs do not get shots.
Dogs breed freely.  Last week the dog across the street was in heat.  There were dogs around that I had never seen before and constant squabbling that sounds like a death-duel.  It never is, hardly any contact, mostly lots of barking, growling and seeing who will back down.  Difference 3 – Dogs are not neutered.
Many of the dogs here have horrible skin problems, fleas and who knows what else (given the hot, humid climate).  One dog at school, has an injured eye, blind in that eye from a snake bite last year, the eye was never removed. Difference 4 – Dogs do not get vet services.
You will get chased on a bike by dogs at some point in your service here.  I have been pretty lucky, it’s only happened a few times and they never chased me far. Difference 5 – Dogs exist to protect their property and do not stray far (unless there is a female in heat).
Litters here are frequent and small and my guess is life expectancy is around 6 or 7.  Difference 6 – There is not a huge overpopulation problem.

I have observed the dogs at school and in my neighborhood.  I have to say they are fed regularly and decently – left-overs, which almost always includes meat, rice and vegetables.  They are very different from our pampered pets at home and serve a different purpose.  They do warn and protect and are somewhat companions.  They are very docile, including pit bulls and rottweilers.  Threatening with a stick is often enough to get them to back off if chased on a bike.  If the girl who lives across the street is at my house, her dog will come and let me pet her.  It she is not there, the dog totally ignores any coaxing from me for petting or food.  They will eat what I leave out, but will not take it from me. 
So when I was offered a puppy from a recent litter, it was easy to say no.  The dogs born here, belong here and are happy here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment