Thursday, September 20, 2012

Odds and Ends


Puu 
You say the word with your mouth smiling, but your teeth closed.  I don’t think we have English words with this vowel.  Anyway, it is the name of the long grass that is used to weave matts here in Thailand.  I started to see it along side the road, in neat, spread out bundles, about 3 weeks ago.  It is left out to dry after being picked.
The woman across the street started to bundle it about a week ago.  She worked at it every day and people stopped to visit and/or buy from her.  The grass is dried in the sun then dyed and woven.
It is an example of how close to the source things are here.  No shop to sell it in, from the field to the farmer to the buyer.  So many things are like that including most of the food.  I saw a man wearing an apron, carrying a live chicken on his motorcycle last week.  I’m sure chicken was on the menu that day.


Hopscotch - hesitant start, a few brave souls and everyone joined in




My latest house mate, strangely I don't mind the frogs and geckos.  I hope no snakes try to move in.
Finally, the students at Thai schools do all the dishes and clean up.  At Ban Tha, they take turns rotating 4th, 5th and 6th.  They also clean up the school grounds in the morning and clean the restrooms.  They love to have their pictures taken!



No comments:

Post a Comment