Wednesday, September 26, 2012

So much to learn



When I moved into my rental house in May my co-teacher helped me to buy a jug of water from the store on the corner.  It is a small place with things like dish soap, laundry soap, vegetables, soda, milk, ice cream and snacks.  They also cook in the morning and sell food.  The shop owner said her husband would bring the water to my house, which he did later that day.  I am at the shop 2 or 3 times a week for small purchases and have bought water there since May.  The problem has been that he forgets to bring the water and it is sometimes 3 or 4 days before I get it.  Mostly it is not a problem as I plan ahead, but it has been frustrating and it occurred to me that it may be a pain for them too.
I asked Joom about getting water delivered and she told me to have another teacher tell the delivery man who comes to school.  So, I asked Muan if I could get a jug delivered every week.  She said she would have him bring one, which he did.  I then asked if I could pay ahead a till the end of the month so I would not have to worry about it.  That is when I started to realize it was not going to happen the way I thought it would.  I was hoping for a regular weekly delivery.  I guess it doesn’t work that way.  Muan seemed confused by my paying in advance and “the next 2 Fridays” was not meaningful. 
After asking about it, I did get another jug of water on Wed. afternoon.  I am thinking there is not regular delivery set up.  I think the delivery truck goes to school on a regular basis and leaves whatever they need.  I am hoping I can ask for delivery when I need it and get it within a few days too.

Yesterday I asked Joom “What are your plans for tomorrow?”  She said “I don’t know, tomorrow never comes” and laughed.  Here it all seems to work out without planning.  Another cultural difference for me and probably one where I can benefit doing it Thai style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment