Friday, June 29, 2012

Utilities in rural Thailand and a couple of pictures




When I rented my house, I was not able to negotiate having the landlord pay for water and electricity.  So, I knew I would be paying those bills, but had no idea how it worked. 
Now I know.  The person who collects for the water bill knocks on my door or calls through the window if it is open at about 6:30 a.m.  She hands me the bill and I give her cash.
I was at my language class last week when my co-teacher called and said Yinu, the woman I stayed with for my first month here, was looking for me.  She is apparently the one to collect for electricity.  She found me and waited while I came home (2 blocks) to get money.  Again, paid in cash.
So, the person who collects finds you and you pay and it’s taken care of for another month.
I attended an English camp today for High School students.  It was fun, especially their version of Thailand’s Got Talent.  One boy traced English letters with his body and I participated in a “drama “with a teacher.  The Sawnaw ( Director of English teacher for Nongkai) let Faith and I hand out certificates to the students.
On the way home we stopped for gas and I saw this woman in the parking lot at the gas station.  I always thought this “look” was for people who wanted to hide their faces.  I see it all the time here and they are just protecting themselves from the sun.  Isn’t the hat great?


No comments:

Post a Comment