Monday, August 13, 2012

Thai public transportation




Riding the tour buses in Thailand is luxury.  They are air-conditioned and the seats recline all the way down.  On an overnight bus (which most of them are), the lights go out about 9.
Local buses are a different matter.  They are old, have wood floors, some seats are duck-taped and the air-conditioning is open windows and fans.  Riding to Udon last week, I sat up front and observed a lot of the “operation”.
Each bus has a driver and an attendant.  The doors never close, the bus stops at bus stops (thatched huts on the road) and anywhere someone flags them down.
You board the bus, find a seat and get settled.  In the next 10 minutes or so the attendant comes by to collect either your ticket or your money.  You can also let the attendant know where you want to get off and he/she will make sure you know your stop.  Sometimes people talk to me and sometimes they just stare.  It is a great place to people watch and again I wish I could understand Thai so I could eavesdrop!
The buses have become interesting because I have vowed to get out more and it is my only mode of transportation on my own!  

All the drivers have some sort of Buddha or monk image on the bus and the flowers are changed frequently.

Door is bungied open

 Ceiling fans, on when we are stopped, but off when the bus is moving

Close up of flowers

Bus terminal.  The guy with the bag is one of the ticket sellers.  There are several, depending on where you are going.

The bus from the outside

Looking down the aisle


No comments:

Post a Comment