Friday, November 16, 2012

Pictures on Saturday


I did not think I would write a blog this week, pretty routine and nothing exceptional to share, until I went to the Post Office this morning.  I got some wonderful pictures that represent this delightful village.

The woman weaving is probably the mom of the woman who runs the post office, she is often there.  When I stopped by on Thursday afternoon, she had just started weaving this mat.  This morning it looks almost complete. She is using the pluu I wrote about a few weeks back.  The mats are used constantly because people eat on the floor and outside.  It is so rare for me to see such lovely handwork in process, what a treasure.

It is rice harvesting season.  The village is very quiet because so many farmers are out in the field.  My neighbor, Luuguaa, was so excited to be going with her family to cut rice.  She is waiting by the tractor.  Then there are pictures of the people in the field cutting the rice, by hand.  It looks like very hard work.

Lastly, the princess of Thailand will visit Ban Serm next month.  She will be at the high school.  I noticed students painting a wall yesterday on my way home in preparation for the royal visit.  I did not have my camera, but thought, “O well, not that great of a picture”.  Then this morning I saw this monk across the street from the school, painting the wall at the temple and was so glad I did have my camera.  A visit from the princess is a big deal and there is a lot of preparation going on at the high school.  I am afraid I will miss the day, I have plans to visit a school in the north with our area director and my fellow PCV Faith.








No comments:

Post a Comment